Saturday, October 01, 2005

how well did you do?

I'm trying for a promotion at work, right? So far we've had one set of interviews -- in which those of us who were applying tried to make the best case for our qualifications -- and a list was drawn up of applicants considered worthy. The hires will be chosen from this list.

A few people asked me about my interview, "How'd you do?"

I don't really understand the question. How am I supposed to know how well I did? I didn't fall on my face. I did better than my last interview, I think, in that I didn't stumble over my words and get all nervous. But I'm not qualified to judge how well I did because how well I did depends almost wholly on how I compared to others. And I can't know that.

There are 30 people on the list. There are 9 positions. Does that mean my chances are 1-in-3?

No comments: