Saturday, October 15, 2005

House Overlook, version 2

The house sat on top of the hill and overlooked everything.
It overlooked my house and me and my dog as she squatted and peed,
and it overlooked the street that the rain was falling on.

The house managed to look down on the mountains however far away they were.
The house looked down at things as they passed --
these things had passed like this up to now.
They would keep on passing, of course.

The house looked down at the wind carrying dust.
I closed my eyes being in the midst of the wind and dust.
The house looked down at all the birds even when they were flying and flying.

In another country the houses rise at first light like farmers
and seem to get a lot of work done.
I've moved in order to look out a window very high up.

I'm sure I shall get a lot done, too.
I watch the houses in order to learn how things work
in this country.

No comments: