Thursday, October 13, 2005

House Overlook, version 1

The house sat on top of the hill and overlooked everything.
It overlooked my house and me and my dog as she squatted and peed,
and it overlooked the street that the rain was falling on.
The house looked across to the mountains and managed to look down on them
      though they were twice as close to Heaven.
as the house was.
And it looked at things as they passed as though things would go on passing
      just like that,
and it happened this way up to now
so why not.
The house looked at the wind go by below.
I closed my eyes to keep the wind out and the dust.
The house looked at the birds.
I moved to another country where the houses rise at first light like farmers
and seem to get a lot of work done.
I look out my window and see I'm very high up.
I turn to the dishes I didn't finish last night
and I roll up my sleeves.

No comments: