Sunday, January 16, 2005

Poetry Walk

The poems have been in the sidewalk for a year and a half now and I still haven't read them all. I remember passing Robert Hass one morning on my way to work. He was holding a cup of coffee and mingling with several other middle-aged-ish, intellectual-looking folks at the corner of Addison & Shattuck. That yellow do-not-cross-this-line tape was stretched between fold-out traffic barriers. Workers were doing something to the sidewalk, I could see.

The poems are all collected now in a paperback anthology. I bought the book at a library event, a trial heat, one might say, to today's 2 hour plus reading with "Robert Hass, Opal Palmer Adisa, Ivan Arguelles, Alfred Arteaga, Chana Bloch, Joshua Clover, Lucha Corpi, Jean Day, Lucille Lang Day, Patricia Dienstfrey, Marcia Falk, Jack and Adelle Foley, Gloria Frym, Sandra M. Gilbert, Susan Griffin, Barbara Guest, Lyn Hejinian, Brenda Hillman, Alice Jones, Joyce Jenkins, Ron Loewinsohn, Jack Marshall, David Meltzer, Adam David Miller, Laura Moriarty, Michael Palmer, Jim Powell, Stephen Ratcliffe, John Roberts, Kit Robinson, James Schevill, Richard Silberg, Carol Snow, Julia Vinograd, and Dean Young." I haven't read the book yet, either. But don't I got lotsa books to read? How many sidewalks?

No comments: