Saturday, January 08, 2005

cold & rainy

Looks ugly out the window.

Went last night to Poetry & Pizza, the reading series I help run. Both readers were very good. I talked afterward with Shola Wolpe. She's got several readings in the area. A real variety of venues: coffee shop, pub, radio, bookstore. That's saturation! I hope she sells a lot of books. She lives in Los Angeles but (as you can see by her calendar of readings) she gets around. Even if somebody else (her publisher?) does the bulk of the work setting up readings this is still a lot of work, a big committment of time & energy. Most of these places don't pay (P&P doesn't, but you do get free food). She performs her work well (and the writing is sharp) so I was not surprised she sold several books last night. Shola seems to have done a lot of travelling in her life; it must not cause her anxiety the way it does me. I enjoy travel, but every time I go anywhere I feel doomed. Mildly doomed.

No comments: