Saturday, June 25, 2005

suffering

Just had a shower. When I rush through my weekday gotta-hurry-I'll-be-late-for-work showers I can't say I get much pleasure from them. So it sure was nice to stand there and let hot water sluice through my hair, feel it course down my back.

I'm a little surprised my body is feeling good this morning. I went to the gym yesterday right after work and did the weight machine routine. Last night I was feeling sore. Tuesday I did yoga class and, boy, sore and weary was I for days after that.

Exercise for me has been suffering. I've seen gradual improvements in my body's flexibility and strength and stamina. But more noticeable have been the aches and wearies. When others have heard me complain (waah!) there's the inevitable question: Why do it?

The way I see it I have two choices. Both involve suffering. I can suffer to decline, get stiffer, have more headaches, be less & less able to do things physically. That's the don't-exercise choice. Or I can suffer toward improvement, gradually over the counter pain meds have gotten better at tackling my headaches, I have a greater range of motion, more strength, my body looks more normal rather than hunched.

Suffering. Or suffering. Which would you chose?

No comments: