Wednesday, March 15, 2006

a line a day

Jack has been working a poem, adding only a line or two a day. I'm not sure he's still keeping up the one I'm referring to. While he was going I took his first line then riffed on his subsequent lines, posting them as replies to his poem as it lengthened. This is the last bit I posted at Jack's blog:

Trees don't get confused.
Although I have known trees confused.
Birds unfold wind and sky and distance
grows smaller, the sky next to your mouth.
This road goes here & there, distancing
itself from leaves. The hand at the end
of the mind looms, an elm woven
over its knowns, a shuttle zooming
into focus the means of ends.

*

I've never done a poem only writing one line per day. Seems awful restrictive. Unnecessarily so. But I haven't been pumping out poems lately either. So a few days ago I wrote a line that's a bit of collage from the titles of the books in my bedside pile. In subsequent days I've added one line, using essentially the same method. I'll see it goes.

No comments: