Monday, August 29, 2005

Info Desk Blogging

Two people who want replacement library cards. The second came so fast on the heels of the first that I thought he must have heard my instructions but no.

Since the Information Desk faces the entrance I try to give everyone who looks my way a friendly face. One of the people who came up to me asked what it means when the book is in "Tech Services". I sighed. He said, "It means you sigh." So I laughed and said, "I sigh because it means the book is not available. It's either just been received and has to be processed or it's being mended." Sometimes I not only sigh I make funny faces, which people react to and I have to explain. Oh well. Let's not be scowly, at least.

Helen H, who retired last month (was it a whole month ago?), is standing at the head of the line at the Circulation Desk offering patrons help checking out using the new RFID self-check out machine. "Oh that's easy," said one as I passed the desk. "I could do that."

... aren't I sounding perky today? Here I thought I was all grumpy and everything. I've been teasing one of the librarians about slapping on the phony happy mask; maybe mine's got to feeling natural.

No comments: