Tuesday, August 23, 2005

banal thought of the day

"[M]ost contemporary poetry is boring. It is. But that's always been the case." -- Tony Robinson, poet

"Tony, I also agree most poetry these days is pretty boring, and agree, also, that that's always been the case. Let me tell you, Tony, there are days I don't even like poetry." -- Seth Abramson, poet

... from way down in the comments at Seth's blog ...

I read poetry every day, pretty much. Usually I get something out of it, something interesting. Even bad poetry goes somewhere prose won't and there are times I need to get away from prose, get to a poetry place.

That said, after reading page after page of poems that do nothing for me (and that's a friendly choice of words -- hello, Poetry magazine!), I will think never reading another poem is the better choice.

No comments: