Wednesday, March 03, 2004

revising

I was looking at a site for a new publisher and they say they are looking for "really really good poetry," whatever that means, and I got to wondering what poems I have on this computer, the Mac. I've only composed a couple on it and typed in another handful. The other computer, the PC, has lots of poems on it but no longer has internet connectivity so I can't email poems from it.

I opened a poem file, thought, that's not bad, so closed it and opened another. As I was reading I was revising in my head before I'd gotten more than a few lines into it. I thought, I should read the whole poem through first, but the changes seemed more important than the idea of fairness to the original vision. So I started right in changing things. I've thought about revising a poem in the blog. Post a poem. Then post a new version of it, then another, until it stops. I'm going to do that with this poem.

No comments: