Saturday, April 08, 2006

Mark States

Mark States has transformed himself from mild-mannered coffeeshop poet of the 90s to fierce slam poet of the 00s. He's still a skinny little dude and he doesn't look scary even with the hood of his sweatshirt pulled low on his forehead, his wet eyes gleaming in their cave.

But Mark's connected with some rough personal material -- growing up on the mean streets, getting beat up, drugs in the family, being so poor he had to skip meals, etc -- and he's upped his performance chops. He's got most of his pieces memorized and he even makes some illustrative gestures. That upthrust fist still doesn't look like it's going to sock it to the Man but it does help keep your attention.

Poets just don't put the work into performance that they oughta. I don't. I muse to myself about doing a few slams, enough to see what happens to my presentation, to my work. Enough to see if I connect with the crowd.

Mark's example sure demonstrates how distinct the coffeeshop is from the slam, genrewise. Mark says he's got a good chance of making this year's Berkeley Slam Team. Judging by his performance at last night's Poetry & Pizza I can believe it. Mark's put in the work.

No comments: