Thursday, April 06, 2006

Info Desk Blogging

I'm happily ensconced now at the Claremont Branch. Not that things haven't gone wrong or weird. Our computers have gone down a couple times, which is harried making. But the problems are different problems than the ones in Technical Services, so, you know, the novelty is good.

Right now I'm seated at the Information Desk where I answer reference questions. While sitting here I glance around. Nearby are racks of uncataloged paperbacks. By "uncataloged" I mean you can't search the library's catalog and find these paperbacks listed; it's purely a browsing collection. I remember glancing at one of the books and thinking, "Lethem. He's supposed to be good. Maybe I'll check that one out."

About fifteen minutes ago a patron came to the desk -- my first reference question of the day -- and asked if I could help him find a book. The catalog says the book is on the shelf, but he went to the shelf and it wasn't there. The title? "Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem" ... My eyes probably dilated. I turned my head to the left and stared for a beat at "Motherless Brooklyn", the very book I'd been considering taking home. "Would you like a paperback copy?" I said. The patron shrugged. I walked over to the paperback rack and lifted "Motherless Brooklyn" from its place and handed it to him.

I can see clearly the titles of 12 or 13 books on the paperback racks. The coincidence was so odd I almost felt like I'd been set up.

No comments: