Saturday, April 01, 2006

how hard

How hard is it to write something no one else has ever written anywhere? It sounds like a bit of a challenge, doesn't it? Am I so original that I can concoct a phrase that no one ever anywhere has rigged up just that way, the words in an order perfectly comprehensible but as yet utterly unattempted? I don't know.

Maybe it's easy. Really easy.

What with the recent noise about the Washington Post hiring a rightwinger to be their "conversative voice" in the blogosphere, a blogger who turned out to be a serial plagiarist, I became curious again about how often we (let's say, I) say the same shit as ever'body else.

So I went to my featured poems page and started grabbing phrases that it seemed unlikely anybody else would say. I would put these phrases into Google in quotes and Google would give me back one page. Mine. For instance:

"its distaste for his wrinkled kidneys"

"a thumb you want to plumb him with"

"the mechanical lung and a bathing cutie"

...

Well then. I could try other phrases, phrases that were sure to have been said by others, phrases I maybe even stole from others.

What about:

"does it matter whether john is walking"

"Go and when you come back let me know."

"even the grass bowed."

...

Hm. It's not until I choose really generic language that I start coming up with other pages.

"The picture of three men"

"many roads cross"

"It's okay, he whispers"

... in all three of these searches I found my own poems easily (only for "many roads cross" did I have to scan past the first page of results).

4/12 Update: Funny. When you click on the links above, this blog entry shows up alongside the original poem. Sometimes the blog outranks the poem.

No comments: