Monday, February 28, 2005

Julie and MariBeth Both are Graduating, version 2

Glenn! Didn’tchu hear me? A gust gets into my hair that’s been stirring the day up. It’s been windy like that. Two girls, one dark, one fair. My back to the wall. Hi! I’m glad to see them, really. Graduating Friday? No! Tomorrow! Seen any of the summer movies? One, but not really a “summer” movie. MariBeth stands beside me smiling, but doesn’t say anything. Julie pulls her dark hair from her shoulders and lets it spill again from her hand. I want to be natural, but I’m unnatural. Doing anything? Well, really we’re late but it doesn’t matter. She bites her bagel. Coming to graduation? Julie and MariBeth both are graduating, ayear after me. A year. I’m eighteen? Are they younger than me? As they walk on I walk. I hadn’t planned on it. You going to a gradnite party? No. A wind blows between what I say, what they say, what Julie says. A wind blows between the fingers I’ve taken out of my pockets.

No comments: