Saturday, December 17, 2005

stem the rose

OK. We saw Brokeback Mountain. K & I walked down to the theatre and bought tickets then went over to a cafe to eat. I didn't know whether it would sell out as was happening in San Francisco opening weekend. On our way back rain was falling and the air was chill. So it was nice to be able to duck right into the building.

The theatre was showing Brokeback on three screens. If they hadn't been I suppose it would have been crowded. As it was I'd say the fill up in our theatre was above average for a matinee. Anyway. Was it good?

It was good. I liked it. I would see it again. I'm sure I will see it again, on DVD if not in the theatre. Beautiful landscapes. And the leads, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, are easy on the eyes. I was expecting more doom, the typical tragic queer story. Lots of angst and not much touching. Thankfully those expectations were disappointed. It's a secret love. And the sadness comes from its being hidden in the mountains, away from every day life, not allowing the lovers to live full lives. But at least they get to love each other. Gee, it seems so little to ask. And it's way too much, isn't it?

No comments: