Thursday, December 01, 2005

Info Desk Blogging

My supervisor asked me to take her Info Desk hour today. When last I was here rain was threatening. Rain has come through on its threat. Cool, breezy, but the rain's only been intermittent. Not too bad.

A caller just told me West branch isn't answering their phone. West is supposed to have been open for ten minutes already. I called West, too, and got their "we're closed" message. Wake up, guys!

Patron just said he was planning a road trip and he wanted to stay at some "haunted hotels." I didn't find any books with the words "haunted hotels" in the catalog description so I sent him up to the reference desk on the second floor. Sounds like the sort of information you might find in a magazine article.

Cassandra, one of the workers at North branch, just came in. She traveled to Brazil last year, knowing no Portuguese, spent six months there, and now chatters away at me. I catch a word here & there. I'd sure like to get one of my other-than-English languages up to real communicational fluency. But I'll probably die monolingual. Face down in a puddle on an empty street, late Sunday afternoon, surrounded by sparrows.

No comments: