Saturday, December 04, 2010

Thousand: Two Hundred Fourteen

quickly. He bends his knees, and dives. Samuel reaches to unbutton his collar. His tie is in the way. It’s a red tie with tiny yellow paiselys. His mother-in-law gave it to him before she died. She was standing on the roof, which was where his birthday party was being thrown, and she was laughing as she tossed the wrapped box in the air, catching it, tossing it, laughing. Something tickles his fingers. A spider. Tiny and red, bigger than a mite, easily. Must have been living in the red grass. The back of his hand is dotted with red

2 comments:

Dave King said...

I am intrigued: I can pick this up at any point and be interested in it and what happens next. I can't quite see how the trick is worked, though.

Glenn Ingersoll said...

tricking myself, I suppose ...