Sunday, January 21, 2007

comments on "The Alphabet Song"

Here is another poem from 1984. You have leave to think it awful. Why would I be posting bad poems from old notebooks? After all, somebody might form a low opinion of my work by reading LoveSettlement!

I don't know why that doesn't bother me. It's supposed to bother me. Allowing mediocre work out under my name, as though I approved of it! The work as my representative in literature. Only the best, only the best should be seen. All crap should be burned! Or moulder, at least, in a bin.

I could mumble that I'm not showing my worst poems. But I probably would show a really bad poem if I thought it Fun bad. Come to think ... yeah, that's pretty much what "The Alphabet Song" is. It's an exercise. An attempt at an abecedarian, a poem that starts each line with a letter of the alphabet in, naturally, alphabetical order. And I think it fun. Unsuccessful. But fun.

No comments: