Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Info Desk Blogging

My usual Tuesday 11-12 Info Desk hour is no more. The library now does not open until noon on Tuesdays.

Today I'm doing someone else's hour (4-5), while she's on vacation.

I'll also be filling in for my supervisor while she's on vacation (Wednesday?) ... and I'll be doing my new regular hour, Friday 2-3.

... Already the hour is half over ... My Info Desk partner, one of the children's librarians, intercepted a little boy who seemed to be leaving the library unaccompanied by an adult. And very upset. So he's standing at her end of the desk while she tries to find his adult. ... Just as I wrote the last sentence the mother (?) popped in the front door looking all stern. "Come along," she commanded. The librarian asked her if she'd left the children alone. Addressing one of the children (there were now two) the woman said, "I told you four times to come along." The child protested, "But I was getting off the computer!" When the librarian tried again to talk to the woman about leaving children unattended she was talking to her back as the woman led the children out.

The librarian tells me the woman was a babysitter, not the mother. The woman left the kids because she told them four times she was leaving and they didn't come?

No comments: