Tuesday, May 25, 2004

nothing more boring

Nothin' more boring than writing about technical glitches, eh? But I'm a little miffed at having had to publish that last post 3 times -- Sunday, Monday, and today. Maybe tomorrow, too?

I've been telling myself I'd try out some of Blogger's new features. Could happen, right?

I'm blogging at the Info Desk at the library, which is probably a no-no. But, what the heck. It could get busy any time and I'm lo --

OK. Three questions in a row: Where's the fiction section? Where do I return books? Where can I return these tapes?

One of the circulation supervisors just came by, seems there was a patron last night who came to the desk 5 minutes to closing (after the money drawer had been put away) and protested not being allowed to check out books even though she had a $23 fine. "But they knew I owed money last Friday and they let me check out books!" Seems ms. patron had come up 5 min to closing the previous Friday and the desk worker bent the rules because it was too late to take money that evening. Ah, yes. So the patron, finding out the rules can be gamed gamely tries the gambit again. Circ supe was distinctly unamused.

Phone call: No, we don't seem to have "Sacramento Book", a history of Sacramento by David Niven, name same as the actor.

Don't know why the due date of one of the parts of a DVD series has been checked out for 2 months -- maybe checked out to mending?

Had to run off and check shelf for books with pictures of the White House for a patron on the phone. Found 2 of 3.

"I need to make change." I direct her to the circulation desk.

My Info Desk partner, Susan, tells me she's off to the sorting area in the back to look for an item. So it's all on me now.

Boom boom boom, question after question: Magazines are on the 2nd floor, as are bathrooms, as is internet access (also on the 3rd floor); cancel a library card at the circulation desk; yes, you can borrow one of those little pencils; no, we haven't been able to locate the item you requested ... ring! ring!

Susan's returned so she got that last call.

Oops! Time to go! Relief is here!

No comments: