Sunday, May 16, 2004

notebooks

I read this at Vanishing Points, "Geof Huth ... writes of a notebook he uses for everything but what he first intended. That's pretty much been the case with every notebook I've ever owned. ... No master plan. No ability to stick to one in any event. Gambling on gut impulses. In the moment. Trying to find the wherewithal to trust one's heart."

I posted this response, "I have a notebook for poetry. I have a notebook for writing about things happening in my life. I keep them separate. There once was a time they were the same. But the life notes would crowd the poems, especially when I did a bunch of revising. And I'd get tired of rereading the life notes. It's not like I was going to perfect them into art; they were just so I didn't entirely forget everything about my life but the few horrendously embarassing events that eternally haunt me."

No comments: