Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Autobiography of a Book in Door Is A Jar #17, winter 2020

A chapter from Autobiography of a Book appears in Door Is A Jar #17, winter 2020.


Because Door Is A Jar is mainly a physical publication (or an e-book), rather than an online literary site, I am going to let them have an exclusive. 


Mostly. 


However, “in which the book has a dream or three” does include three dreams so I’ll tease you with one:


In this dream I am lying on a railroad tie and it is shaking as the train comes down from the mountain. I wonder if the engineer will read me. Perhaps the train will screech to a stop, the engineer will get out, crunch across the gravel. He will reach down, pluck me from where I am lying and brush the dust from my cover with his canvas-gloved hand. Then he will look into me. He will look into me the way he looks down the line, seeing the track stitching the landscape together, looking at how the way has been laid out for him and is always the same and he is always the same and nothing changes but the weather and what gets in the way. The vibrations of the coming train move me. A bird throws its silhouette against the white sky. The train is shaking the earth. Where is it? The sky remains white, and I try to imagine myself its child. I could grow up to be a white white sky.


If you want more, buy the issue! 


Or wait for Autobiography of a Book to finally achieve its dream — of being a real, honest-to-goodness book! 

No comments: