Thursday, October 22, 2009

Info Desk Blogging

I've completed the weeding project. That doesn't mean it's finished, tied with a bow, put away, all done. After all, we're still getting in new books and the new books have to go on the old shelves. Even though I've removed many books from the old shelves, the new books will fill them up and more weeding will need to be done. Plus there are small collections that I haven't worked on yet - the Chinese books, the oversized books.

A couple years ago I took on the weeding when I was annoyed by the book trucks in the meeting room that had been set aside for overflow, that is, all those books there was no room for in the stacks. I was sitting here at the Info Desk, you know, looking over at the crowded Fiction thinking, "I bet no one checks that one out, or that one." There was a period not long ago when I had made enough room on the shelves to clear the books trucks. That was satisfying. Unfortunately the most popular collection, the Mysteries, is full again. The DVDs are crowded, too. And the area set aside for them was small to start with. I haven't attempted to weed those. I suspect the best way to weed them would be for condition - do they play? But we don't have a DVD player here.

Actually I'm waiting on my boss to approve for deletion that last batch of weeding. Once she gives the OK that'll be the work of a couple hours.

2 comments:

Kevin Cutrer said...

What's the discard process like? Are the books donated, sold, etc.?

Glenn Ingersoll said...

The individual record for an item is deleted from the computerized catalog. The item is stamped with DISCARD or CANCEL, the barcode crossed out. The item is then piled on a table in the back room where volunteers from the Friends of the Library review them for salability. If the Friends didn't want it, used to be the item would be thrown out (or recycled). Last I heard the items the Friends don't want are routed to another charity and they get to do with 'em what they want.