Friday, July 24, 2009

Winkie report?

Winkie good. Compliments to David Maxine for putting together a solid program. Um. Nice drive down with John Bell who was visiting from Boston; I picked him up in Oakland and we chatted (or I chattered?) all the way down. I asked him once on the way down & once on the way back what sort of music he liked – I’d intended to bring a batch of the playlist CDs I’d burned, but had forgotten them at home, the music preference question being not just idle curiosity but checking to see whether he would hate what I was going to slip into the car’s CD player – except, of course, I didn’t have the CDs with me. Still, John said he liked “American Standards.”

American Standard?

Sinatra, Rita Hayworth, Eloise McGraw. Um. No? I didn’t put on the radio because I was talking, plus I was driving, so why distract from the moment?

I liked John. Smart guy. Personable. Didn’t interrupt me.

Anything else about Winkies? The old regulars. They are getting older. I guess that was a surprise. We youngsters of the 70s & 80s? Middle aged. Anybody coming up behind us? Um. Anthony? The 15 year old local? I liked him. Bouncy. He was puzzled by the lack of attention to the MGM movie. “That’s what I really like,” he said. “I haven’t read the books.”

Meanwhile David Maxine was saying we really need to get people to join the club who are into the Oz books. The books!

There is only one MGM Wizard of Oz. There are 14 sequels to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. And many sequels by subsequent authors. I run out of things to say about the MGM movie rather quickly.

But I don’t know. I got one thing at the auction, an early edition of The Giant Horse of Oz. The other night Kent asked me if it was a book I really liked. After he noted that I wasn’t answering that question I furrowed my little brow and said, “I’ve never thought of it that way. I’m going to have all 40 books in the Oz series, and, yes, there are some I like better than others … but the issue of whether to buy something has little to do with whether that particular book is a favorite. Some editions of the books have more illustrations. I’d like the ones with all the illustrations.”

4 comments:

Dave King said...

I'd no idea, I thought there was just The Wizard of Oz! Maybe I've been missing out?

Glenn Ingersoll said...

ah, life! So many things to enjoy. So many things to miss out on!

Baum's original Wizard is my favorite, but Baum is a good (if uneven) writer and I've many of his books.

David Lee Ingersoll said...

A teenage fan of a 70 year old movie? Somehow that seems weirder to me than a kid being a fan of the books.

And speaking of wanting older versions of the books in order to have all the illustrations, this blog posted a great set from The Emerald City of Oz. Lots of stuff that I don't remember seeing before.

Glenn Ingersoll said...

The illustrations on that blog are all familiar to me; the color plates (paintings!) weren't accessible to us when we were kids but you gave me the Books of Wonder/Morrow edition that reprints them - even to the green metallic ink! My favorite is the corncob house.

The word verification for this comment, "inanadua", sounds like an Oz character.