Saturday, April 03, 2004

have headache, will feel yucky

I liked that revision thing. I'll do it again.

Is there anything in the news these days that would make one happy? Lynchings in Iraq? One blogger I read regularly has no sympathy because the Americans killed were highly paid mercenaries and the US response will probably result in more (American & noncombatant Iraqi) deaths. When I saw the pictures of the charred bodies hung from a bridge with happy children dancing beneath, it put me in mind of classic American lynchings. Used to be there was a lively postcard trade in such images. Regardless of whether the killed are innocents or criminals I don't want to see crowds exulting over tormented human bodies. I followed as closely as I could the news of the Tiananmen protests and when the Chinese army started to kill people it was no surprise (and, yes, I felt a sense of satisfaction) when crowds managed to strike back and set fire to troop carriers or drag a soldier from a bus and rip him apart. Can we all agree this stuff is bad? ...

I haven't gone to Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. A film about Jesus wouldn't be high on my to-see list anyway, that it's a film of him being brutalized does drop it further down that list. On the other hand, I am thinking about seeing the remake of Dawn of the Dead. Zombies. They're already dead.

No comments: