Thursday, January 22, 2004

more on the line

I posted the following in the comments to Ron Silliman's blog:
"My own thinking finds difficulty with the Silliman definition of line in that it is so elemental. Rather like talking about the parts of a mammal by starting with a single cell. This, by no means, is crazy. It does set me back a little. I was blithely going along looking at the line as that string of words that starts up on the left margin, forges forth toward the right, only to come up short somewhere shy. This simple little def works with so many of the poems you see that any other def seems needlessly stretching to capture outliers.

That my def's rather naive and disingenuous in a hopefully wry and faintly sarcastic fashion serves to highlight my sophistication, wouldn't you say?

Don't say no!"

No comments: