Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Arabic

I took a class in Arabic from Berkeley Adult School. I won't be able to make next week's class meeting so last night was my last.

I still know no grammar and have very few words, nothing that would be useful in communication. On the other hand I am familiar now with the Arabic alphabet and can sorta kinda sound out a word ... Arabic doesn't have separate letters for vowels (except alif which is an AH) but indicates them with little marks over the consonants. I haven't looked over enough Arabic texts to see for myself but I understand they are perfectly happy to dispense with the vowel marks (like Hebrew, K says).

Another session will start up in November. I took Arabic purely out of curiosity. That curiosity has largely been satisfied. I don't expect to sign up for the November session. I have little interest in Arabic culture or the Middle East. The language's noises are not happy in my mouth. I'm fine with the investment I put into it so far but learning more will have to come with greater need.

No comments: