Wednesday, June 14, 2006

thimble

“what poet wouldn't be embarrassed by the prospect of their scraps showing up in print” – from an essay about the new collection of Elizabeth Bishop’s resurrected writings.

But it’s okay in this case, says Meghan O'Rourke, because “Mastery … is the real mystery.”

Um. Whatever that means?

I wouldn’t be embarrassed by the prospect of my scraps showing up in print. What would motivate anyone to pursue that project anyway? I post scraps here; if you’re a regular reader you know that. And I work them over. I’ve abandoned a few; others I’ve kept harrying until they’ve outrun me.

I’m not one who thinks the greatest poet is the poet whose life’s work would fit in a thimble. The proof is in the reading, isn’t it? "Reading, after all, is a voluntary labor." per Logan

No comments: