Monday, June 05, 2006

squirrel battles

I stepped out on the back porch a few minutes ago. Sure, I'd been hearing the chittering of the squirrel(s) but I was surprised to discover a squirrel crowd ... no ... battle going on in our trees. I counted six squirrels. And after the pause to evaluate my threat level they got back to business. I saw one high in the pine being blocked on its branch by another advancing. Then three swarmed up the acacia next to it. The leaves thrashed and suddenly a body dropped, spinning head over tail, and THUMP hit the concrete (the pad at the foot of the second floor stairs). I couldn't tell quite from how high up but more than ten feet for sure. The squirrel lay where it fell, its tail sticking partly through the fence.

Sundy & Sutra had come out with me but neither seemed eager to get involved. Until Sutra at last noticed the one on the ground and went to investigate -- I shooed him away. Then I came in and got my camera. The squirrel blinked and slowly changed position, pulling its legs under its body. After I'd taken a few pictures Sundy came up to me (I was only five or six feet from the squirrel) at which point the squirrel pulled itself together and leaped onto the stairs, then to the stair railing and into the trees. A slightly smaller squirrel had been concerned about the grounded squirrel's fate, had come quite close while it was down but was wary of me. They seemed to make a pair. But it's hard to tell squirrels apart. I think the second picture is of the one who fell ... but I'm not 100% on it.

No comments: