Monday, July 17, 2006

nice day in Berkeley

I didn't go anywhere today. I went to the store for a few things. Brought home deli items and zapped one of the chicken thighs Kent cooked up a couple days ago. That was lunch. Did a few chore-ish things. Trying to clean out old junk from the back yard so removed from the tool shed a plastic bucket filled with some long dried putty or paint or something. The first big item in this week's trash bin.

Did some reading. Started a long prose piece that I've been thinking about for the last month or so. I was typing while the sun beat down on me from the window, my face hid beneath the brim of a baseball cap.

I lugged an old computer monitor upstairs. It's not been in use and we could use the desk space. One of the items piled on it was my senior year high school yearbook. The other day the name of one of my classmates came to me and I googled him. Seems he's now running the Sonoma County Fair. With the book open in my lap the prospect of doing the whatever-happened-to with more of those old high schoolers seemed doable in a way that it just hadn't before. It's not like high school has much meaning to me. These were faces I was trapped with rather than chose to see. I don't feel nostalgia. But even if you've never gotten hooked on the 7up series you can probably agree there is something story-like about people's lives. And I was there to see some story (& I was at least peripherally involved) so, you know, curiosity sets in. What happened next?

No comments: