Saturday, May 22, 2021

“The perfect shape to drop to the earth” in Humble Pie

Humble Pie, the literary and art annual of the California College of the Arts, published my poem “The perfect shape to drop to the earth” in the Spring 2020 issue, vol. 17. Unfortunately, due to the great covid shutdown, the issue was not able to be printed at that time. I am happy to say, a contributor’s copy came in Thursday’s mail. (Thanks, Caroline!)

“The perfect shape to drop to the earth” was written in the home of Helen Luster. Helen and Paul Mariah co-facilitated a poetry group I joined a year after high school. Both Helen and Paul were much older than me. I guess Paul was about the age I am now (his 50s?); while Helen was a bit older (b. 1913). 


The poem went through some changes since first scrawled it in a notebook, but it’s still describing a particular afternoon. 





No comments: