Saturday, May 13, 2006

comments on "Unicorn" version 1; "Bubble bejeweled" version 1

Two more poems from the 1984 notebook. August.

The autobiographical material of the first poem would be: my brother & I spent a vacation in Alaska summer 1980. We were visiting my father & his family. Dad's youngest child was a girl and I remember telling her stories as we traveled in a camper. I figured girls liked stories about horses so I remember inventing a story about horses. She was transfixed. I was her favorite brother (she grew up with two, my stepbrothers) as I paid attention to her and didn't tease her. But the poem is just meant to be a laugh. Any details with relation to my own life were merely convenient. I started with a title, something I rarely do. And I amused myself.

I don't know whether the Unicorn poem or the fizzing mineral water poem really want revision. I like them. I wouldn't offer them up for publication, not because they embarass me but because they seem ... slight? unfinished? unready? ... but what would I want from them that they don't do already?

No comments: