Sunday, December 18, 2005

I would support the Death Penalty if it killed State Senator R. Edward Houck of Virginia

From an article about a lesbian couple who decide they must quit Virginia, their home of 17 years, out of fear of the state's new Official Family Destruction law:

"State Sen. R. Edward Houck, a Democrat who has represented the Fredericksburg area for 21 years, says he felt conflicted about the votes he'd cast for the [Official Family Destruction] law and the [Official Family Destruction] constitutional amendment, but felt obliged to represent his 175,000 constituents. Most of them, he believes, support restrictions on ... marriage and [civil] rights. 'I can't always just vote my conscience and my convictions,' he says. Houck also insists that Barbara and Tibby [the lesbian couple he's helping chase from the state], whom he doesn't know, don't have to leave Fredericksburg, that the law refers not to wills and medical directives, but 'the rights and responsibilities of marriage.' But what are those? 'I can't answer that,' he says. 'I don't know all these things.'"

"I don't know these things," he repeated as he pushed the baby's face under the water and held it till it stopped struggling. He shrugged. "What do I look like? A lawyer?"

No comments: